'''Super Robot Wars Alpha 2''' (第2次スーパーロボット大戦α Dai-Ni-Ji Sūpā Robotto Taisen Arufa, lit. 2nd Super Robot Wars Alpha), stylized as Super Robot Wars α II, is the third Super Robot Wars game in the Alpha timeline for the PlayStation 2, continuing from Super Robot Wars Alpha and Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden. 2nd Super Robot Wars Alpha was the first game in the series to use fully animated and fluid attack animations. It also was the first game of the series to introduce the squad system. Series debuts includes Brain Powered, GaoGaiGar and Steel Jeeg.
Also introduced in this game were "Dynamic Kills," variants on attack animation which showed certain attacks destroying their targeted enemy unit, whereas most attacks would proceed exactly the same regardless of whether they destroyed the enemy. Some attacks, such as GaoGaiGar's Goldion Hammer, had special variants for specific enemy types.
Series Included[edit | edit source]
- Banpresto Originals (not a TV or movie series)
- Brain Powered (debut)
- Demon Dragon of the Heavens Gaiking
- Demon-God of War Goshogun
- Invincible Steel Man Daitarn 3
- The King of Braves GaoGaiGar (Debut)
- Mazinger Z
- Nagahama Romantic Trilogy:
- Steel Jeeg (Debut)
- Super Robot Pilots
- Sanger Zonvolt - Male, pilot of Grungust Type-3 and the Dynamic General Guardian, "DyGenGuard". He first appeared in Alpha Gaiden. Sangar awakens to battle a mysterious female who wants him dead, after she attacks the Earth Cradle. In his first scenerio, he's approached by the Gaiking team, but quickly leaves them behind.
- Kusuha Mizuha - Female, pilot of Ryujinki and RyuKoOh. This is Kusuha's second appearance in the Alpha series, and is the only returning selectable character from Alpha. At the start of her story, the RyuOhKi reappears, attacked by KoOhKi, piloted by a mysterious masked pilot, as well as the Mikene Empire. It is rescued by the combined efforts of the Mazinger Z, Venus A, Boss Borot, Volfogg and "Cyborg" Guy Shishioh.
- Real Robot Pilots
- Arado Balanga - Male, pilot of the Huckebein MK III and the Wild Wurger. He is one of two characters to begin as a member of the Titans, an antagonistic group in the game. He is eventually captured by the Alpha Numbers, comprised of the crews of the Albion (Gundam 0083) and the Argama (Zeta Gundam), and shown the evils of the Titans.
- Ibis Douglas - Female, pilot of the Altairion and Hyperion. An inexperienced pilot, she is haunted by a crash that claimed the life of Filio Presty, brother of Sleigh Presty, and fiancée to Tsugumi Takakura. When her scenario begins, she is rescued by the Crossbone Vanguard.
- Tsugumi Takakura - Female, co-pilot of the Altarion and Hyperion. Playable only if Ibis is selected as the protagonist. Fiancée to Filio Presty, she wears his glasses as a sign of rememberance.
- Sleigh Presty - Female, pilot of the Vegalion and co-pilot of the Hyperion. Sister to Filio Presty, she holds a deep, resenting grudge towards Ibis for accidentally killing her brother.
- Other Original Characters
- Viletta Vadim - Female, pilot of the Huckebein MK III R (regardless if Arado is the protagonist or not). This is Viletta's third appearance in the Alpha series (previously from Alpha & Alpha Gaiden), and is the only active member of the SRX Team.
- Rätsel Feinschmecker - Male, pilot of the Huckebein MK III R "Trombe". In actuality, he is Elzam V. Branstein, brother to one of the SRX Team members. This is Rätsel's second appearance in the Alpha series.