'''Super Robot Wars A''' (スーパーロボット大戦A Sūpā Robotto Taisen Ē) is a video game for the Nintendo Game Boy Advance, part of Banpresto's Super Robot Wars franchise and the first to appear on the Game Boy Advance system. It was later ported onto mobile phones as Super Robot Wars i and was released as an enhanced remake on the Sony PlayStation Portable on June 19, 2008 called Super Robot Wars A Portable.
Story & PlotEdit
The story revolves around an organization called the Shadow-Mirror, which exists in a parallel world where events happened in a different way than the "Advance" world, thus making the state of the worlds different, though a bit similar at times. Its leader, Vindel Mauser, desires a world of eternal war to make humanity improve more through those wars. His plan is to send his agents towards another dimension, spy on the defense forces of the world in order to make adjustments on the attack, and eventually conquer it.
The player is given a choice as one of the two possible volunteers of the jump to the "Advance" world from the Shadow-Mirror universe and will later discover through their own way whether the Shadow-Mirror is right or wrong.
- Axel Almer (アクセル・アルマー Akuseru Arumā) is one of the two selectable characters. He is one of the top agents of the Shadow-Mirror and is in a relationship with its top researcher, Lemon Browning. He used to be a cold-hearted but dedicated soldier towards the belief of the Shadow Mirror. If chosen as the main protagonist, Axel will suffer amnesia due to his jump and will develop second thoughts on the Shadow-Mirror's intentions throughout the course of the game. The player may choose the Ash Saver or the Laz Angriff if playing on the real robot route or the Soulgain or Vysaga on the super robot route.
- Lamia Loveless (ラミア・ラヴレス Ramia Ravuresu) is one of the two selectable character. She is an android created from Lemon's W-Series project, in hopes that she could create an artificial intelligence on par with humans. Lamia is the 17th creation, thus nicknamed W17. As a machine, she is bound to orders, which is an obstacle towards Lemon's purpose on her. If chosen to be the main protagonist, Lamia's communication device will be damaged in the jump, causing her to develop a broken grammar speech pattern and to be unable to contact her superiors, allowing her the freedom to move around in the mission and enabling her to develop her own consciousness and make decisions of her own. Lamia can pilot any of the mechs Axel can with the exception of the Soulgain. In place of that, she can pilot the Angelg.
The original robots debuting in Super Robot Wars A are based on the original robots in Super Robot Wars 64. The player's choice of the main robot, whether it's a super-type (Soulgain/Angelg, Vaisaga) or real-type (Ash Saver, Laz Angriff) will affect the beginning of the game as well as the choice of robots that will be deployed by the enemy.
- Banpresto Originals (Not featured in any other series)
- Chōdenji Robo Combattler V
- Brave Leader Daimos
- The Unchallengeable Daitarn 3
- Metal Armor Dragonar (Debut)
- Getter Robo
- Getter Robo G
- Shin Getter Robo (Based on Banpresto's original design of Shin Getter Robo)
- UFO Robot Grendizer
- Mobile Suit Gundam
- Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
- Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
- Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
- Mobile Fighter G Gundam
- New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
- Mazinger Z
- Great Mazinger
- Martian Successor Nadesico (Debut)
- Super Electromagnetic Machine Voltes V
- Super Machine Zambot 3
Feature in The GameEdit
The "parts" mechanic made some of the earliest units some of the deadliest, such as the original RX-78-2 Gundam and Boss Borot. On the first playthrough, these units are the only ones you can upgrade all the way to max, and when coupled with the obscenely rare "W-Up" part that raises stats in accordance to how many item slots a unit has, early/"weaker" units, often having all four slots, get tremendous stat boosts.